Thursday, December 4, 2014

Anticipating the Launch



“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29: 11-13 NIV


Excitement built. After years with no manned launches from Florida, the test for the Mars exploration revived space fever. 

Newscasters expressed heightened anticipation. A revival of the space program would bring jobs, visitors, and a sense of patriotism. 

In past years, I watched rockets etch the clear sky. Across from the launch pad, engines roared and vibrations from the powerful boosters formed waves on the river. Plumes of smoke rose with the spacecraft. Rockets could be seen rising into space all across Central Florida. The recent mission brought back memories of when space travel excited the world. 

Newscasters gave accounts of the countdown, crowds, and excitement. The clock stopped. A boater strayed into restricted waters. Then a booster problem needed attention. 

The boater moved and the booster was fixed. The clock moved forward. 

It stopped again. Wind gusts prevented a lift off. Another mechanical problem surfaced. With the window of opportunity closing, thousands waited expectantly. 

Viewers from around the world and local residents assembled along roads, beaches, and camp sites. Some spent the night in the area. Others arrived before dawn. All wanted to witness the historical event as the gigantic rocket rose and circled the earth.

Space center officials worked to solve mechanical glitches. Security personnel contacted the errant boater. But only God controlled the wind.

Everyone else waited. A moan arose as the announcement was relayed to visitors. Plans changed. Some complained. Others resigned themselves to the disruption. All hoped for a renewed countdown. 

At the end of the launch window, another announcement came. Officials decided to try again the following day. Disappointment replaced expectation. 

My life is often like the aborted launch. I make plans. Unexpected circumstances alter them. Anxiety and stress arise when I try to take control because I seem to think my way is best.

When I release my hold and accept God’s plan and timing, peace and contentment return. 


Heavenly Father, help me to accept Your plans and remember Your ways are best. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment