Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thankfulness Around the Lake



1 Timothy 1:2 ...May the grace, mercy, and peace that come only from God the Father and our Lord Jesus the Anointed mark your life. The Voice


Cool air hit me when I opened the door but not enough to keep me inside again.

Too many cold days kept me from my favorite morning spot. With a cup to tea and long robe, I braved the chill and snuggled into a wicker chair.

During my absence, my lake view changed dramatically. Green cypress trees turned golden. Their fall hues brightened the shoreline and contrasted with dark, green pines.

A flurry of wildlife greeted me. Nine squeaky turkeys waddled around my yard. A bellowing blue heron swooped across the lake and landed on the opposite side. 

Bright white fowl congregated at my shore. A pair of black and white wood storks fished beside two great white egrets. Stork heads plunged into the cool water to search for food. The egrets speared unlucky fish. 

A series of splashes broke the silence. Four anhingas landed and quickly submerged. Snakelike heads maneuvered around the mirrored lake. Songs drifted from tall trees. Not since last spring had I seen such an influx of birds.

Thankfulness filled me and extended my Thanksgiving celebration. 

Grief squeezed me for a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. Crying returned. Memories of good times wrestled with anticipation of the future. Possible scenarios brought more pain and loneliness.

Sadness on Thursday morning, brought more and more tears. However, the wonderful celebration with family closed the chapter of grief for the day. Hours eating, talking, and laughing brought new memories and comfort. 

My grief, though strong and personal, wasn’t the only grief in the house that day. Others faced losses too. Together we supported each other and thanked God for His blessings. 

Letting go of my tight grip on grief allowed me to open my hands to receive the joy of the holiday.


Loving Father, thank you for your continued presence and comfort in pain and suffering. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment