Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pumpkin Pie



This is my command, be strong and courageous. Never be afraid or discouraged because I am your God, the Eternal One, and I will remain with you wherever you go. Joshua 1: 9 The Voice

“I made pumpkin cheesecake for the Thanksgiving potluck dinner,” I said to my granddaughters. 

“I like pumpkin pie,” Ashlyn announced.

“I love pumpkin pie. It’s my favorite,” four year old Molly proclaimed with a grin.

“Its my favorite too,” I said.

She added, “I’ve never tried it.”

We all laughed at her remark, but it made me think. Because people she loved enjoyed pumpkin pie, she was confident she would too. There was no hesitation or reluctance to try something new. She was ready to experiment and grab the opportunity. 

Instead of Molly’s positive view, prejudging often takes a negative outlook. Fears prevent engagement. Loneliness stifles. Pain cripples. Depression isolates. 

Molly’s attitude fosters hope, confidence, and encouragement. I can write the book and get it published. I will go to the concert alone and enjoy it. New holiday routines will make the season bearable. Helping others will soothe the pain. Exciting opportunities await me.

As I remember my old life, I will be guided into my new one. God’s care, love, and presence won’t stop but I have hope for the future. 

Each time I face something new and difficult, I will remember Molly’s words with a smile.  “I love pumpkin pie. I’ve never tried it.” 


Father, show me your way as I venture into a new life. Help me to be hopeful as I face each situation--whether easy or hard. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment