Monday, November 10, 2014

A New Kind of Birthday



“in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4: 6 NIV

Last year, Alan and I celebrated my birthday together. This year he was gone.

Because of his declining health last year, he had to rest all day so he could take me to a special restaurant. I told him we didn’t have to go, but he was determined to do it. We both knew it would probably be the last one.

Since driving had become too exhausting for him, I had been the driver for a while. With no handicapped spaces available near the restaurant, I dropped him off. 

Tears threatened as I circled the area searching for a parking spot. I walked in the dark alone after getting out of the car. For years my protector took care of me and then the roles reversed. Neither of us liked the changes. 

The nagging question kept coming back. “Will this be the last birthday with Alan?”

He carried his O2 tank into the darkened room. At our table for two, glittery birthday confetti brightened the black tablecloth. A small card proclaimed our name. The special touches made me smile. I pushed the intruding question away.

Our attentive waiter explained the menu and answered questions. We talked and waited for the meal. Only a few diners sat nearby in the small, elegant dining room. No one else knew this would be our only visit to the award winning restaurant. 

The chef decorated each dish with precision. We savored every delectable bite. Normally, we didn’t order dessert, but Alan urged me to choose one. He declined but took a bite of my luscious creme brulee. Every bite of our meals was perfect. A blessing  we both enjoyed them.

Throughout the evening, his O2 remained on the floor unused. That was another blessing. 

For that evening, we pushed aside the thoughts of his upcoming death. We enjoyed the time we had together. How thankful I am that I can review my memories of the fifteen birthdays with him. 

I can live on memories of the past or embrace new ones. What blessings I received this year from family and friends to begin my new kind of birthday. 


Dear Lord, thank you for the times with Alan and the new opportunities ahead. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment