Monday, November 3, 2014

Braving the Cold



God of our Lord Jesus the Anointed, Father of Glory: I call out to You on behalf of Your people. Give them minds ready to receive wisdom and revelation so they will truly know You. Open the eyes of their hearts, and let the light of Your truth flood in. Shine Your light on the hope You are calling them to embrace. Reveal to them the glorious riches you are preparing for their inheritance. Let them see the full extent of Your power that is at work in those of us who believe, and may it be done according to Your might and power. Ephesians 1: 17-19 The Voice

While I was wrapped in a fuzzy robe, crocheted afghan, and furry slippers, an extravaganza played before me. Whispy clouds swirled, leaped, and danced above the lake. Miniature cyclones rose in a choreographed routine. Shimmering ripples reflected off bright cypress leaves.

White sunlight stretched across the crystal, blue sky. A blue heron huddled like an elderly man. An unseen creature croaked. Dew covered grass glittered. 

On the opposite shore a great white egret glowed in the shadows. With a lift of his wings, he sailed across the water and landed a few feet from my patio. He dipped his orange beak in the frigid lake and spewed droplets into the air. 

Wind rustled through the leaves. A quartet of sand hill cranes foraged beneath the cypress. A trio of turkeys waddled across my lawn. All endured the cold with no apparent discomfort. 

Though I shivered, each breath of crisp air revived me. The gorgeous scene around the lake enthralled me. 

Did my neighbors miss the show? Perhaps the cold prevented them from stepping outside. 

I came close to staying inside but am thankful I braved the cold. How many opportunities have I missed because I didn’t want to venture out or be uncomfortable? 

Enduring a cold nose, freezing hands, and shivering body allowed me to be blessed by the magnificent display. 

Dear Lord, sometimes I need a nudge to step out into areas that are new or uncomfortable. Help me to face the challenges so that I can receive your blessings. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment