Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Journey of Pain



We are confident that God is able to orchestrate everything to work toward something good and beautiful when we love Him and accept His invitation to live according to His plan. Romans 8:28 The Voice

            My new exercise video came to life. After returning from a trip, I just wanted to sit and relax. Reluctantly, I tried to imitate the perky teacher’s movements.

            I crammed myself into the area between my couch and coffee table.  Then I pushed one chair back to do the slow, gentle movements. More energy poured into my tired body.

            The teacher kicked her leg to the side. Obediently, I followed her instructions. My leg moved up and out. Pain stopped my foot after it rammed the wooden table.

            Each wiggle of my toes brought stabbing pain. I tried to finish the exercise session but every move caused more throbbing.

            I hobbled to the couch. My painful toes reminded me of my pervious broken toes. I certainly didn’t want to be incapacitated. I tried working on the computer but couldn’t overcome the pain.

            Finally, I relented and propped my foot up.  Ice numbed the swelling toes. For several hours I watched television, crocheted a hat, read, and called friends.

            The following day pain lessened. Only one toe remained black and blue. Perhaps it was not broken but only jammed.

            Even though I didn’t desire pain, I did relax for the day like I wanted to because of my little accident.

            Alan and I did mission work around the world, but my new mission came to me at home. The uninvited pain of my grief opened opportunities I never imagined. During the last two years, my heart opened to others who grieve. Day after day people come into my life who are hurting.

            Most of them grieve the loss of a loved one. However, some grieve because of health issues, broken relationships, lack of purpose, loss of income … Because of my own pain, I feel theirs more deeply.

            I never asked for a grief ministry but that is the journey I have been given. God is using my losses for good to comfort others.


Father, I never wanted the pain I have experienced, but thank you for using it to help others. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment