Thursday, July 23, 2015

Good Bye, Dear Friend Rae Lee



            Starting tenth grade in a new school, in a new town, as the principal’s daughter filled me with anxiety. I left old friends behind and knew no one in the new location.

            Rae Lee changed that. After a phone call from Mrs. Bennett, a teacher at the high school, our phone rang.  Rae Lee introduced herself and offered to stop by. What a relief to have a new friend.

            Her kindness helped us connect. She included me with her friends and helped me settle in when school started. Her friends were numerous because she was a caring friend. Because of her, I no longer felt alone.

            We attended the same church, had most classes together, and formed a special bond.

            After graduation, we attended different colleges. More distance separated us when she moved further north and I migrated to Florida with my parents.

            On my return to Indiana for visits, we would meet with friends for lunch. She came to see me once in Florida. Occasionally, we phoned. I regret that we didn’t stay more connected over the years. However, when we were together, we easily renewed our friendship.

            She displayed her spirit and humor last year at our class reunion. She wheeled her walker to the hay wagon we were all going to ride in the annual James Dean Festival. The height of the wagon was daunting for many in the group. Some classmates helped boost those who needed assistance.

            It was obvious she would not be able to climb onto the wagon even if they  grasped her arms.  She laughed and said, “Push on my rear end.” She made it onto the bales and enjoyed the parade. Many people would have avoided the situation to escape embarrassment. Rae Lee joined in with enthusiasm.

            After the parade, we had time alone. Tired but happy, she sat on her walker seat. I sat by her as we talked. She comforted me about the recent loss of my parents and husband. I cherished the time we had together and the special friendship. I had no idea it would be our last conversation.

            Despite a difficult childhood and challenges as an adult, she preserved and overcame obstacles. She lived life with grace, humor and compassion. She was a gift to many. She is now celebrating with Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment