Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Senior Dryer Moment



            After arriving home late on Saturday, I waited until after the holiday to launder clothes from my trip even though my mom would probably have had hers done that night. That is one area I didn’t follow her and age has made me more laid back too.

            On Tuesday, one load went into the dryer as another one went into the washer. While I worked on my computer, the tumbling of the dryer rumbled in the background. I completed my work but the dryer continued.

            Finally, after a longer than normal drying time, I reached inside to pull out a few already dry items. Surprisingly, there were none. Every piece was as wet as when I took them from the washer. The top of the dryer was cool instead of hot.

            Then my weary, time zone addled mind remembered. The day I left for my extended trip I had washed a small load of clothes so everything would be clean when I arrived home. The dryer didn’t work right then either.

            However, my almost three week trip caused me to forget. Although I knew my neighbor would be glad to let me use her dryer, since she offered the first time, I decided to use solar energy.

            With no clothesline, I hung shirts and pants on hangers around my stifling garage. Underwear and socks went on Alan’s antique drying rack as I almost had heat stroke in the sweltering giant dryer. I laughed to myself at my Beverly Hillbilly type dryer and my own forgetfulness.  At least, the extreme heat of the past few days was a benefit.

            The following morning all clothes were dry. A repairman is scheduled for later today. Hopefully, the problem will be solved easily without too much cost.


            The last few years I have learned to not stress over things as much. Having a sense of humor helps me get through many situations more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment