Friday, September 14, 2018

Listening to the Voice



DEMONSTRATE Your ways, O Eternal One.  Teach me to understand so I can follow.
EASE me down the path of Your truth. FEED me Your word because You are the True God who has saved me. I wait all day long, hoping, trusting in You.
 (Psalm 25: 4-5 The Voice)

            A mass of swirling clouds danced across the dark lake. The wisps rose and twirled as dawn awakened. Cypress trees stood like statues. Not a leaf stirred on trees or flowers. 
Except for whirling fog above the water, movement stopped. Normal life halted. 

            As the sun rose, fog deepened and further disguised the lake and trees. Bit by bit, they disappeared before my eyes. I stared at the lake and, finally, saw slivers of tiny ripples. 

            A solitary, boisterous crow broke the silence with his annoying caws. Then he flew away. Quiet returned. 

            From across the lake, squealing chatter erupted. I searched without success to see the majestic birds. Their shrill shrieks continued for a few minutes and then ceased. Haze prevented me from observing the bald eagles. 

            During the summer, they perched in trees across the lake. Neighbors along the shore, texted each other whenever someone saw them. A friend taught me to recognize the voices of the birds. With careful observation, a listening ear, and much patience, I often enjoyed their presence. 

            Hearing God’s voice also takes observation, a listening ear and patience. He speaks through His Word as I read my Bible each day. I notice Him as I study His creation. Sometimes, he instructs me through a sermon, book or another Christian. The more I know Him, the easier it is to identify His voice. 

            One way He speaks to me is through my writing. I see a situation and instantly notice a lesson that I write about. When I was younger, that didn’t happen. Was it because I wasn’t paying attention or because He wasn’t showing me anything? I am not sure but probably because I wasn’t attuned to Him. 

Teacher, I want to be able to listen when you speak. Open my eyes, ears and my heart. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment