Wednesday, December 16, 2020

The Pink Gift


 

A pink glow covered the trees, grass, lake and sky like a filmy scarf in a fanciful dream. Nothing looked real as I gazed at the lake behind my home. 

 

            For several minutes, I enjoyed the pink world around me and marveled at the unusual beauty. A sense of peace, joy and expectation filled me. A balm in the uncommon year and gift during Advent. 

 

            But within a short time, the sun rose higher and swept away the extraordinary phenomenon. Normalcy returned with green grass, a few lingering orange and white flowers, and trees changing from green to gold. 

 

            A white egret ascended from the shore and sailed above the lake. Four stately sand hill cranes strode across my yard. A pair of ducks formed a wake on the still water. 

 

            Although a missed the spectacular pink gift, I enjoyed the beauty of my normal lake view too. Whether sunny, rainy or cloudy, my special retreat gives me peace and contentment. 

 

            Frequently, we expect to see God in the spectacular but he more often appears in the ordinary. A child’s laugh and exuberance. A needed hug. A smile in hard times. A special song. The smell of a favorite meal. A dependable car. Food in the refrigerator. Countless other gifts. 

 

            In the busyness of ordinary lives, it is easy to overlook God’s blessings in the mundane. Every day, He shows up so we must look for the gifts.

 

Every good gift and every perfect gift comes down from above, from the Father of lights, with whom is no variation nor shadow of turning. (James 1:17 Darby)

 

 

 Loving Father, what wonderful surprises you give to your children. Many times we are so busy that we overlook and don’t open the gifts. During Advent help us learn to look for You each day. As that becomes a habit, we will see you more clearly and appreciate your love for us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment