Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Where is Baby Jesus?


 

“Grandma, I can’t find baby Jesus,” Emily said.

 

       When my three granddaughters came to help me decorate for Christmas, Ashlyn worked on the tree. Molly decorated outside and Emily displayed nativity sets. 

 

       Eight shelves in my entertainment center held my large collection of nativity sets and angels from here and around the world. It is a perfect place to showcase the scenes where I can gaze at them every day. 

 

       They include a ceramic one with small figures I got from my parents’ home after they passed away. Alan and I bought two olive wood sets on our pilgrimages to Israel. He bought a white stone one in Africa during a mission trip there. On one mission trip to Peru, we bought a large church with a nativity around it. Ashlyn’s painting of the holy couple and baby Jesus added to the display. Every one is special to me because the focus on the baby Jesus. 

 

       Besides all the nativity sets, a wide variety of angels graced the shelves. Small, large, glass, cloth, wooden …all added to the Christmas spirit. 

 

       Most nativities were set up when I heard the disturbing announcement that baby Jesus was lost. I picked up all of the papers that I had so carefully surrounded every piece of the white stone figures. No baby Jesus. We knew we couldn’t display the nativity without Jesus but were stymied. 

 

       Emily held up a larger, white cherub. “We can use this for when the wise men arrived.”  We laughed but knew that wouldn’t work. 

 

       Then I glanced at the shelf. “There is baby Jesus.” 

 

       Emily couldn’t believe it. She had placed one of the sheep and the baby on the shelf. "I thought that was a sheep," she said. 

 

    All of us laughed at the confusion. That set always gave me trouble too because the stone figures were not distinct in who they represented. I wasn’t sure which ones were shepherds, wise men or Joseph.  

 

     I had never mistaken Jesus for a sheep but it was a rather strange piece. There was a flat piece with a head similar to a man’s instead of a child's. But thinking baby Jesus was a sheep is biblical. He was sent as a sheep to be sacrificed for our sins. 

 

       We often overlook Jesus too and think He is missing. When life doesn’t go the way we think it should, we assume He doesn’t care and has deserted us. 

 

       When we stop whining and complaining, we can see Him in His creation, His Word, friends, family, and even in difficult situations. 

 

       During Advent, we look forward to His coming just as Mary, Joseph and the wise men did so long ago. My array of nativities reminds me to constantly look for Jesus. He hasn’t gotten lost but often I do. 

But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife. (Matthew 1:20-23 KJV)

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, “Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.” (Matthew 2:1 KJV)

Father, thank you for reminding us that Jesus isn’t lost. He continues to work in our lives but we need to be open to seeing Him. Amen 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment