Monday, February 1, 2021

Peeling Shoes


Oh, no. How could I have not noticed? 

            After months of not seeing my friend, we met for lunch at a small Cuban restaurant. For three hours we talked and caught up on our lives during the pandemic. 

            She dropped me off at home. When I took off my shoes, I almost fainted with embarrassment. 

            That morning, I dressed carefully with black pants and a bright, blue sweater. I put on a special necklace and a light amount of make up. 

            Since it was cool, I went to the garage where I found a pair of closed toed, black shoes which I rarely wear in warm, sunny Florida.  It had been over a year since I wore the flats but they fit comfortably when I quickly slipped my feet into them. I hurried to my friend’s waiting car and we were off. 

            In my haste to leave, I never looked down at my shoes although I should have. With months in an extremely hot garage, fake leather peeled off. Not one tiny spot on one shoe but both shoes looked like they had a bad case of sunburn and the resulting peeling. 

            At first, I was mortified that my friend and customers in the restaurant had seen my scarred footwear. Then as I examined the pathetic shoes more closely, I began laughing. The flawed shoes provided the perfect idea for a story. 

            How often have I fixed myself up to look good on the outside but ignored a bad attitude? Perhaps I judged someone who did something I didn’t like. Maybe they didn’t look right for church. If someone noticed my defective shoes, they might have judged me too. 

            My damaged shoes didn’t keep me from enjoying lunch with my friend. However, if I jump to conclusions, the result can affect my peace, relationships and Christian witness. 

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. (Proverbs 11:2 NIV)

Lord, help me not jump to conclusions and judge others. Thank you for a sense of humor that helps me laugh at myself.  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment