Thursday, January 28, 2021

A Nostalgic Pinwheel


On a whim, I placed a Dollar Tree pinwheel in my basket on a recent shopping trip. I certainly didn’t need it but the plastic toy reminded me of my childhood. 

            Occasionally, my parents bought them for my brother and me. We blew hard to make it spin a little. Often, we waved our arms back and forth to watch the wheel go round and round. However, the best times were when we held the playthings high and the wind whirled and whirled the gadget like the windmill next to our house.  In a simpler time, a cheap toy gave hours of fun to two young children. 

            When I got home from the store, I stuck the multicolored pinwheel in the ground by my patio. The gaudy decoration stood out among my lovely flowers but I smiled at the memories it brought. 

            Most days the pinwheel waited patiently for a breeze. Once in a while, it revolved a couple of rounds and stopped.  Despite the lack of wind, the toy continued to shine brightly in my yard. 

            But when strong gusts blew across the lake, the miniature windmill spun furiously. I wondered if the cheap toy would fly apart. It didn’t. 

            In fact, the pinwheel looked the same even though it had been through intense heat, near freezing temperatures and summer storms. 

            Only when I examined it, did I really notice the wooden dowel that held the pieces together. As long as the linchpin stayed tight and in place, the pinwheel could withstand the ravages of weather.

            That little toy reminded me of my life. Sometimes I wait and wait with impatience for something to happen. Then periods of activity come. I enjoy the productive times and suddenly everything stops abruptly. 

            Storms hit and I spin and spin almost out of control. Peace returns for a while. 

            Like my little pinwheel, when I have a strong anchor, I can withstand the waiting, interruptions and trials. God is the anchor that holds me together securely.

 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved. (Psalm 62:2 KJV)

Loving Father, you give special gifts to your children in early years and in golden ones. In all circumstances you hold onto us when life can seem out of control. Thank you. Amen    

2 comments: