Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Flickering Flames


 

Chilly temperatures kept me inside for my devotional time. One lamp illuminated my dark living room before dawn. I settled down on my couch with my Bible, devotional books and journals. 

 

            Two candles I lit the previous evening caught my attention. Normally, I burned them only at night but why not in the darkness of morning too?

 

            One match lit both wicks. A cranberry one and a taller white one. I stared at the fascinating, pointed flames which rose above the wax. The flames swirled in circles even though I felt no breeze. They danced and then stopped to rest. They reached higher and then lower as wax melted down. Flames stretched upward in a thinner fire. Then down and more compressed. 

 

            Unseen breezes altered their shapes and movement but they continued to burn and brighten my living room. 

 

            Jesus commanded His followers to be lights in the world. We have the same instructions in our dark world. Our present times certainly need light and hope. We should shine even in difficult circumstances. Our flames can dance, lengthen and shorten but should not go out.

 

            Knowing Jesus keeps our lights burning brightly even when darkness and despair attempt to snuff us out. When we become weary and discouraged, the Holy Spirit recharges us. God’s Word refreshes us. Jesus’ Light ignites us and keeps us burning. 

 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:15-16 KJV)

Father, show us how to be lights in the world and keep us burning even when we are discouraged and in despair. Help us show your love to a hurting world. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment