Saturday, January 16, 2021

A New Year


Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:2 WEB)

January 1, 2021. When I wrote the date, my mind traveled way back into the previous century. As a child, I blissfully enjoyed childhood in the 1950’s. During the 1960’s in college, I read the book “1984” which projected life far in the future to me. I could not imagine the 1980’s. 

            Years and decades have passed since then. Horrible predictions were made for the turn of the century. Nothing spectacular happened. 

            When I look back at the end of the 1900’s, I remember good times and hard ones. Most memories of 2020 aren’t favorable. 

            But as I face 2021, I look forward to better times despite the chaos and confusion in the world. Instead of my plans for the future, I am praying to know God’s plans for me. To lead me to people who need love and encouragement. Perhaps they need a listening ear, a hug, or to know about Jesus. 

            During the pandemic, I have learned to make plans but be willing to change them when God nudges me in a different direction or to a specific situation. 

            During my devotional time on New Year’s Day, I began a list of people who came to mind. Some face difficult situations. Others joined the list but I don’t know why yet. Each one will be contacted by phone, a visit, card, text or email. It will take me a while to reach each one but I will do it as God leads me. 

            While I enjoy helping people, I know I also need a time of rest. During this year, I plan to work on God’s timetable more than mine. Retreat and rest when I need it. 

            As another uncertain year looms, think of changes you can make. Don’t list mindless resolutions but life changing ones that truly transform your mind and thus your life. If you don’t know Jesus, what better time to meet him? 

Holy Father, thank you for another year. Lead us to fully know you and guide us in your plans. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment