Saturday, August 14, 2021

A Still Voice in the Tumult


For God alone, O my soul wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us. Psalm 62:5-8 (ESV)

With eyes closed tightly, I prayed for our country as we ended a year of turmoil and faced a new year with more unknown situations. But a constant roar of traffic on the interstate broke into my prayer. Humming from small planes joined the din of traffic. The racket distracted me. 

            Then my focus changed when I noticed more pleasing sounds near me. A chorus of songbirds formed a symphony of charming tunes. Their entertaining melodies pushed the clamor into the background. My mood instantly improved and thankfulness removed distress.            

            At first I only heard the loudest, annoying noises. But when I concentrated, the softer, more pleasant ones soothed me. 

            Month after month, the pandemic brought frightful news. Groups protested. Riots overtook cities. They all wanted to be heard and blared their agendas around the United States and the world. Turmoil overtook normal conversations and the media. 

             One catastrophe hit after another. Outbursts overshadowed reason. Confusion and mayhem became common. 

            Nevertheless, in the midst of chaos, there were acts of kindness. Families discovered more ways to connect. Loved ones grew more precious. 

            We can choose to listen to the destructive voices or search for God’s peace and tranquility in the midst of pandemonium. 

            When I listen, the still, small voice of God rises above the tumult. He offers hope and encouragement in the pandemic and whatever lies ahead. 

Loving Father, speak to us in our distress and confusion. Amen


I wrote this a few months ago but just posted it. 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment