Monday, August 23, 2021

A Stubborn Attitude


 

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not my ways,” says Yahweh. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9 (WEB)

 

The two-year-old toddler asked for a banana. After a couple of bites, she noticed fresh from the oven cookies. Suddenly, her fruit lost appeal and she asked for a cookie. 

 

            My granddaughter, Ashlyn, who was babysitting for the tyke said, “You can have a cookie when you finish your banana.”

 

            With a quick trip across the kitchen, she threw her banana into the trash can. 

 

            She looked at Ashlyn and said, “Cookie?”

 

            In her mind, the unacceptable situation had been taken care of. Get rid of the banana and get the cookie. 

 

            “She can’t get away with that,” I said. “You have to be firm.” 

 

            Ashlyn agreed as she pulled the fruit from the garbage. It had not touched anything unpleasant because of the peel so we decided it would be safe to eat. 

 

            Even with the banana nearby, the determined tyke continued asking for a cookie. 

 

            Ashlyn repeated, “You can have a cookie when you finish your banana.” 

 

            Back and forth went the same conversation. Finally, we decided on a compromise. If she ate two bites of the remaining banana, she would get her cookie. She did and enjoyed the homemade cookie. 

 

            As we laughed about her stubbornness, I thought about how I have done the same thing when God leads me on a certain path. I want to ignore His instructions and get my own way. I tell Him what I want. He tells me what I must do first. Back and forth we go. Sometimes I continue to plead my case and decide I know best which often brings painful consequences. Other times, I listen and follow His plan with better results. 

 

            Hopefully, I am learning to listen when God leads me and not argue. 

 

            Have you ever had a similar experience?

 

Jehovah Nissi, You can see what lies ahead and where the victory will be. Help me learn to listen and follow your plan and not mine. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment