Wednesday, August 9, 2023

The Roar of the Leaf Blower


 

Place your trust in the Eternal; rely on Him completely; never depend upon your

own ideas and inventions.

Proverbs 3:5 (ESV)

The roar of the leaf blower grew louder and closer. A landscaper moved to the rear of my house and pointed the machine at my back step. After a couple of swipes, he walked to my neighbor’s house to clear off another clean stoop. 

            When I looked out front, he had begun waving the blower across tidy sidewalks down the street.

            The sound of noisy mowers grew as they began cutting the grass. Only then did grass litter walkways. 

            Couldn’t he figure out that his job would only be beneficial if he followed the mowers? As I shook my head at his actions, I saw a lesson in my mind. 

            How often do we act before consulting God? We think we know best and neglect to ask God for instructions. Without His guidance, our actions can be as unsuccessful as the overanxious yard man. 

            But if we ask for direction and follow the Holy Spirit’s leading, we won’t have to try to repair or redo what we attempted to do on our own.

            Later I noticed that the grass had been blown away. Perhaps he did the job again or someone else did. Either way, it was done twice. 

Heavenly Father, help us as we learn to come to You for guidance in our lives instead of trying to make it on our own. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment