Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Symbol of Hope and Strength




Though wrapped in a warm blanket, I shivered. Bright sunlight enticed me outside for my morning devotions, and the crisp air rejuvenated me. 

The mirrored lake produced a perfect image of the surrounding trees. A concert of bird musicians enriched the tranquil scene. 

In stereo, melodies rang out from around the lake. An amplified solo overtook the other singers for a few minutes. Intermittent tweets and chirps made me smile. Even the bellowing of a retreating blue heron, added to the chorus.

Ducks floated lazily across the glassy lake. At the top of my bald cypress a silhouetted hawk waited patiently for a glimpse of his breakfast. A pair of blue herons, with skinny necks extended, swept across the clear sky. A snakebird rose from the water like a cobra weaving to a flute. Swallows built a nest at the top of a porch column. All were content with their missions. 

A white egret followed a dark bird zooming down the lake. When the leader landed in a high pine, I realized it was a bald eagle. He scanned the lake, rose and swooped gracefully to the lake. With a minute movement, he clutched a fish in his powerful talons and soared away. 

Through the years, I had seen eagles at a distance but never so near my garden. The strength, beauty, and magnificence of the majestic bird captivated me. What a blessing to see God’s creation up close. 

I had almost stayed inside but felt a nudge to brave the cool morning. The spectacular creature refreshed me after months of concern and worry about family members. 

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. 
Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

Heavenly Father, thank you for nudges you give to me. Help me to follow them and receive the blessings. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment