Saturday, March 16, 2013

Being Jesus




“Let me know if I can help.”

“Call me if you need anything.”

These common statements offer help but usually don’t get a lot of responses. 

Independent people don’t want to admit they need help or they dislike bothering others. In many cases, they enjoy serving but find it difficult receiving assistance. 

Over the years, I have enjoyed being of service. However, when I was recuperating after an operation, I didn’t ask for meals to be brought to us because I didn’t want to bother anyone. My friend, Gail, called and told me she was bringing dinner. Then she informed Linda, the leader of the women’s club sunshine committee, that we could use meals for a while. What a blessing it was to have several days of delicious meals. 

During the recent trials with my parents’ health issues, another friend, Kathryn, told me that she would fix an extra dish for our Bible study potluck so I could go without having to prepare food. What a wonderful way to reduce my stress.

Those experiences taught me some lessons. Be specific when offering help. Telling someone what you can do relieves the stress of thinking of what is needed. It also relieves the recipient of wondering if the offers were sincere. 

The third lesson was perhaps the most important. Asking for help doesn’t indicate weakness but allows someone else to experience a blessing. To refuse help could deny someone else a blessing.

My mother’s Hospice pastor said my parents could be Jesus as they allow others to serve them. I had never thought of the Scripture in quite that way. For years they have faithfully served.  When they now accept the offers of service, their friends and family can be blessed.

Come here, you beloved, you people whom My Father has blessed. Claim your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of creation. You shall be richly rewarded, for when I was hungry, you fed Me. And when I was thirsty, you gave Me something to drink. I was alone as a stranger, and you welcomed Me into your homes and into your lives. I was naked and you gave Me clothes to wear; I was sick, and you tended to My needs; I was in prison, and you comforted me. 
Matthew 25:34-36 (The Voice)

Heavenly Father, thank you for the blessings you give to those who serve and those who are served. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment