Friday, March 22, 2013

The 100 Year Old Game




Ashlyn read before bed. I listened. “When you are done with the book, I would like to read it,” I said.

She held it out to me. “No, when you are done.”

With a smile, she replied, “I have read it lots of times.”

Even though I knew the essence of the book, I had never read Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter. For one hundred years the book has been read and quoted--but not always with a positive tone.

The story captured my attention, and I quickly finished it. With the concerns and trials of the last several months, the children’s book offered a delightful retreat and lesson.

The “game” that Pollyanna’s pastor father taught molded her attitude and way of life. Her example changed and enriched lives. Adults and children were all affected. That same message impressed me.

Yesterday, as I struggled with seemingly endless phone calls and problems, I recalled upbeat Pollyanna. Her “game” didn’t remove her trials but helped her through them. 

The theme of the book reminded me of Romans 8:28. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (NIV)

  We can’t escape the burdens and adversities  of this life, but we can have help in getting through them. Pick up a copy of Pollyanna and learn about her “game”.

My parents are doing better and hope to leave the rehab soon. The final day keeps changing with unexpected circumstances. Since they want to be together, the options have dwindled because of their differing needs. 

Mother has amazed everyone with how well she is doing since her pain has been managed better by Hospice. She is up in the wheelchair and even making sure their drawers are neat and tidy.

Dad was doing much better but a surprise blood transfusion has slowed him down a bit. His therapy has helped him overcome effects of the stroke and being down for so long. 

We are hoping the doctor signs the release today so they can leave to go to Ken and Kim’s on Monday. There will be constant care during the day while Ken and Kim are at work. This is the first step in finding a permanent solution. 

Continue praying for my parents’ health, wisdom in decisions, peace and strength for everyone involved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment