Friday, March 15, 2013

Enjoying the Moment




My mind wandered from my devotionals and the Bible in my lap. My eyes drifted to the lake. Why not enjoy the blissful scene?  In only a few months, I will see a different lake, smaller with fewer trees and wildlife, during my morning devotions. 

A trio of white ducks floated for a while, climbed the bank, and returned to the water. A lone mallard formed a wake as he skimmed the lake. 

Normally boisterous blue jays quietly picked at the grass and hopped from tree to tree. Squirrels leaped from limb to limb like acrobats. 

Blackbirds cawed. Bird melodies soothed me. Repetitious chirps beckoned. 

 Spring finery in multiple shades of green clothed the trees and bushes. Their impressionist forms painted a picture on the quivering lake.

Pink azaleas repeated a spring blooming after a surprise display during the warm winter season. 

Noticing and savoring details of my present sanctuary calmed and prepared me for the tasks and possible trials of the day. A reminder to look for blessings, large or small, each day. 

Though I will miss my beautiful retreat, I will continue to appreciate it while I am here. Instead of lamenting what I am losing, I will enjoy the blessings of today and look forward to those in the future.

A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)

Dear Lord, help me to live in the moment and not worry about the future. Amen


My dad is progressing well with his therapy--physical, speech and occupational. Mother continues to be in pain much of the time and gets discouraged. Hospice is helping to make her more comfortable. Thank you for all of the prayers. We need to decide what to do after dad finishes rehab and where they will live etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment