Saturday, March 30, 2013

And Then Came Black Saturday




Roman soldiers had a rather strange assignment to guard a dead man’s tomb. Of course, they were used to guarding men, often unruly ones, but watching the tomb of a battered, lifeless body seemed absurd. 

Religious leaders asked for security at the grave because of Jesus’ proclamation to rise on the third day. Soldiers would prevent His followers from stealing the body. With the huge stone over the opening, it would be an easy four day assignment.

Darkness invaded the garden. Crowds went home. The soldiers waited.

Huddled in a locked room, the disciples tried to make sense of the week. After the excitement and exhilaration of Palm Sunday to the anguish and misery of Friday, they were filled with despair. Fear and depression consumed them. The disciples waited.

All over Jerusalem, Jesus’ story was retold. Diverse opinions and unanswered questions abounded. The city waited.

Just as emotions traveled up and down with the events of Holy Week long ago, my family has been on a continual up and down journey for months because of my parents’ health issues. One day there is improvement only to be followed the next day with a set back. 

As I wrote yesterday, both of my parents had improved since moving in with my brother and sister-in-law this week. However, last night mother became very ill with high fever, vomiting etc. The Hospice nurse stayed with her until 2 am. All night my dad, Ken, and Kim kept vigil. The caretaker relieved them this morning.

Suggestions from Hospice are to return her to the hospital or take her to their in-patient facility for an IV. At this point, no one knows what is causing her sudden illness.

As we deal with this latest trial, I remind myself that even in darkness and despair, Jesus didn’t remain in the tomb. He rose indeed.

John 14:1 Don’t get lost in despair; believe in God and keep on believing. 
(The Voice)

John 14: 18 I will never abandon you like orphans. I will return to be with you. 
(The Voice)

John 14: 27 My peace is the legacy I leave you. I don’t give gifts like those of this world. Do not let your heart be troubled. (The Voice)
 Yaheweh Rophe (God who heals), guide us as we make hard decisions. You are the healer who heals in many ways. Bring healing and peace as we wait. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment