Thursday, August 2, 2012

An Amazing Performance



My yard was like a scene from Hitchcock’s “The Birds” as feathered creatures swooped, shrieked,  and took over the bald cypress. As if on cue, the noisy  assembly rose as one and descended on a stately pine across the lake. Stragglers jammed a neighboring palm, rattled my gutters, and resumed their migratory route.
A flurry of activity at the bird feeder gave me a front seat to more shows. Two red winged blackbirds perched precariously as they contorted their bodies to snatch seeds. Their unexpected appearance reminded me of my childhood in Indiana.
When they left, a yellow-bellied sapsucker ceased drilling the oak tree. He demanded his spot at the feeder from two small sparrows who quickly grabbed some seeds and left. More teeny birds circled the perch of the feeder like a family at the dinner table. Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal played king of the feeder by alternating their positions and scaring away the smaller birds. 
My head swiveled as I tried to watch my three ringed circus of activity. A pair of mallards skimmed the lake while a quartet zoomed overhead. Silhouetted in my lofty cypress more unexpected guests vied for bare branches as they squawked and yelled. 
Toward the lake, I noticed landing gear lowered as a flock of ducks splashed onto the water. A blue heron sauntered in the shallows searching for prey. 
My normal Bible and devotional readings were shortened because of my private, perfectly orchestrated extravaganza. What a blessing to enjoy the creation around me. Each species displayed unique behaviors, colors, and sounds which melded into an intricate, inspiring performance.
And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky.” So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds and every winged bird according to their kind. And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1: 20-21 (NIV)
Creator, thank you for the beauty of your creation. Give me eyes to see it in the midst of the busy world. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment