Wednesday, August 15, 2012

You Don't Know the End of the Story




 With drapes drawn, Ashlyn, Emily, and I settled down on the couch in their dim living room. Their glowing reports filled me with anticipation. Since their movies are carefully screened, I knew it would be appropriate for grandma too. 

I was prepared to be entertained. Soothing music accompanied opening scenes of Clearwater, Florida. Memories surfaced of beach time there during my college days. 

Snuggled next to me, Emily provided commentary for the show. “This part is funny,” she said over and over while adding details.

“Emily, don’t tell grandma what’s going to happen,” older sister Ashlyn admonished.

 Talking ceased. Three sets of eyes stared at the television. All of us were completely engrossed in the riveting tale.

“Oh, no!” I exclaimed when something bad or troubling happened. Emily would turn and smile at me. 

Unexpected trials. Difficult situations. Heartbreak. One after the other. Some scenarios were too close to home, and some like those of people I knew. Surprisingly, neither of the girls seemed affected by the traumas like I was. 

At one point, tears trickled down my face. Emily gazed into my watery eyes but made no comment. More tears slipped over my cheeks.

Finally, she said, “Grandma, you don’t know the end of the story.”

Later, resolutions came to the characters. Everything wasn’t perfect, but obstacles were overcome. Smiles and laughter returned both on the screen and in the living room.

My anguish and tears didn’t change the outcome but decreased my enjoyment. Ashlyn and Emily knew that things worked out in the end so they didn’t despair.

Like the movie, life is crammed with unforeseen and unsettling circumstances. Desperation, loneliness, and failure appear to determine the ending. It is easy to get depressed with unpleasant situations, but Emily’s words apply not only to a favored movie but also to life.

As Christians we know the director and producer who resolves conflicts and makes all things new. When faith and trust replace fear and worry, the tough spots are easier because He knows the ending even when we don’t. 


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4: 6-7

Heavenly Father, guide me as I struggle through life. Strengthen my faith and trust in you who knows the ending. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment