Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Team




People waited patiently. Elderly and middle aged couples. Young parents. Teenagers. Single adults. Families. They stopped before me.

“The body of Christ given for you,” I said to each one.

Most looked me in the eyes as I spoke to them. Nods. Smiles. Thank you’s. Then they picked up a piece of bread from my basket.

A few approached with downcast eyes. As they took bread from my basket, I said a special prayer. God knew their trials. 

Dragging his feet and lumbering down the aisle, a young boy struggled to reach the front of the church. His father held on from behind to guide and support his handicapped son. With a trembling hand, the youngster grasped a piece of bread. Together they received communion and as one slowly returned to their seats.

As difficult as it was, the father and son team made the journey together instead of being served at their seats. Tears came to my eyes as I watched the quiet drama. 

Earlier in the week, disappointing news from Alan’s pulmonologist had brought me tears, anxiety, and uncertainty. Like that dad’s earthy support for his child, I knew that my heavenly Father would embrace, comfort, and guide us as we continue along the journey of Alan’s lung disease. When we can’t stand on our own, He holds us up. 

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Heavenly Father, thank you for constant reminders of your unfailing love and strength. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment