Sunday, September 23, 2012

Weeds or Wildflowers





The artist brushed pale shades of pink and blue across the emerging sky. Reflections of trees jiggled on the lake. Tiny waves of concentric circles formed as fish broke the surface. 

Faint melodies drifted from high trees. Leaves crackled as squirrels scampered. A hidden duck quacked. White ducks munched loudly. 

A tall arc of white wildflowers rose along the shore. Uncultivated yellow cana lilies joined the bouquet. Though much of my garden had been thoughtfully planted, unexpected treasures caught my eye.  

Colorful flowers appeared. Ducks paraded. Rippling water and a painted sky embellished the lake. Melodies soothed. All without my help.

Like my lake retreat, I don’t control much of my life. The plan in my head doesn’t match the one that I live. Carefully orchestrated projects crumble and fail. But from the rubble, unforeseen opportunities and dreams rise. 

It is tempting to yank the weeds from my garden. But their fleeting beauty can add a whimsical elegance. 

Life is filled with situations that can be viewed as weeds or wildflowers. The difference is my perception. Instead of trying to avoid every problem, I can try to find an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment