Tuesday, July 30, 2013

God's Timing




Pulmonary fibrosis determined that we should downsize. Our large home was too much so we signed a contract to build a smaller house in a nearby community. 

Soon after our decision, my parents became ill. Months and months of hospitals, surgeries, rehab centers, Hospice and then my dad’s death kept my life in turmoil. Through it all, I grabbed for God’s hand and often could barely hang on. But He held tight. His grip secure.

After signing the contract for the house, mother’s health declined and then so did dad’s. With an already overwhelmed life, I just couldn’t handle one more thing. Moving had to be put on hold.

As the new house rose, Alan and I knew we had to sell our present home. Reluctantly, I agreed to put it on the market. More stress to clean and straighten the house before each showing. Several people looked. Feedback was positive, but no one made an offer.

Then for weeks, no one came. Alan’s standard answer was, “It’s all in God’s timing.”

I didn’t want to even think about moving but knew we didn’t want the upkeep of two houses. Alan’s assurance kept me calm. 

Friends prayed. We prayed. My prayer asked for the right buyer at the right time for the right price. 

We waited. Finally, a call came for a showing. The couple liked it. Another call and a return visit. After the third showing, they made an offer. We countered. Within two weeks, a contract was signed. 

My life had returned to a more normal one. Our new house was almost completed. The buyers wanted a closing date a month after the closing for our new home. We had plenty of time for a leisurely move. The price wasn’t far from our asking price. 

Prayers had been answered. God knew the right time. I could not have handled a move along with my parents’ illnesses.  When the situations stabilized, our home sold. Alan was right. God knew the right time.

Moving and leaving the familiar will be stressful. However, I have the assurance of God’s perfect timing and provision. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. then you will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29: 11-12 (NIV)

Loving Father, thank you for answering my prayers at the right time in the right way. Give me patience to wait. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment