Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Stray Hair



A hair glistened on the lampshade. Carefully, I took it off and held it between my fingers. Should I keep it? A few weeks ago, the hair would have been in the garbage without a thought. Nothing was the same now. 

The wavy, silver hair wasn’t mine. Memories of Alan bombarded me and made me smile.

While relaxing on the couch, I had given him hundreds of head rubs through the silver hair which he always said was blonde. 

Multiple times I cut his thick, wavy locks. How scared I was of messing up when he first asked me to be his barber. At that time, he sported a military type flat top.  Later the style lengthened. His hair thinned, and an almost bald spot became a challenge to hide. The sessions always gave us time to talk and laugh.

His last hair cut was only a couple of weeks before he died. He sat in the driveway of our new house without needing his 02. Neighbors stopped to chat. We enjoyed the weather and never thought it would be the last time. 

The stray hair went into the trash because I didn’t need it to remember him. Though tears threatened, pleasant memories pushed them away.

During the last few months, we spent hours talking and wanted to share our thoughts. Alan was able to do that with many people, and I need to continue in his memory.

Live each day as though it was your last. It might be. Cherish your loved ones. Make special memories. Be thankful for what God has given to you. 

Do all things without complaining or bickering with each other. Philippians 2:15 
(The Voice)

With every sun’s rising, surprise us with Your love, satisfy us with Your kindness. Then we will sing with joy and celebrate every day we are alive. Psalm 90: 14 (The Voice)

Father, thank you for every day. Help us to be thankful for those you have given to us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment