Saturday, February 1, 2014

Another Surprise Gift



With Alan’s death so fresh, I couldn’t believe we faced another challenge. Anne’s call told me that my son Chris was at the ER with chest pains. What next?

My mother instinct kicked in so I threw some things in a bag, grabbed the food I was going to serve Chris and his family for dinner that night at my house, and took off for their home.

While I watched my three granddaughters, Anne visited the hospital. Tests. More tests and an overnight stay. Finally, he was released with one more test to be done next week. Thankfully, nothing has been abnormal but so glad he was checked out. 

When I returned home, exhausted and ready for a nap, a shoe box was at my door. There was no name or street address from the sender. Only a PO box, city, and state. 

I cut the tape and looked inside. A beautiful message laid on top. 

Just a simple prayer shawl
Knit with prayers of love and comfort for you
To cover you with blessings
For the times you are going through.

I pray that wrapped around you
    You will feel our Savior’s arms
Holding you and loving you
    And keeping you safe and warm.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
  the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort.
2 Corinthians 1:3

Beneath the paper, lay a lovely beige prayer shawl. I wrapped it around my shoulders. Again, God led someone to comfort me at just the right time. 

The knitted symbol of God’s love enfolded me. The love of a special, unknown giver warmed my heart. Each day since Alan’s death, I have been blessed by so many loving, compassionate people. How fortunate I am to experience God’s love through every one.

Alan is smiling. He told me over and over that he was ready to see Jesus but knew it would be hard for me. He was confident that I would be ok and that my family and friends would help me. He was so right.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Philippians 4: 4-5 (NIV)


Loving Father, thank you for your loving people who reach out to the hurting. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment