Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Different Kind of Anniversary



Revelation 21: 4 The prophecies are fulfilled: He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more, pain no more, for the first things have gone away. 
The Voice

Matthew 5: 4 Blessed are those who mourn-they will be comforted. The Voice

Psalm 147: 3 He binds their wounds, heals the sorrows of their hearts. The Voice

Tears blurred the words as I read the above verses in my daily devotional. How do you celebrate an anniversary when half of the team is missing? 

As the sun rose, swatches of pink swept across the pale sky. Could Alan see the sunrise? Was he aware of our ninth anniversary? 

Tears stopped. I remembered our life together. Though too short, we experienced years of travel, fun, and adventure. Pleasant times mixed with difficult ones.

We learned and grew. Age helped us overlook minor annoyances. We embraced important ones. Laughter made it easier. 

We loved. God. Each other. Family members. Friends. Those we met on missions. Love intertwined our lives and healed the broken places. 

He encouraged me to be more adventuresome and took me places around the world I never imagined I would go. 

I took him out of his small world at home so he could discover his nearby world. When we met, he went to work, to exercise, and to church. His life of being a near hermit ended.

Today will be a day of smiles and tears. Remembering. I wish I could hold him one more time. Hear him say, “I love you.” 

I am so thankful for the years we had together. That is a special gift from God that I treasure.

Heavenly Father, be with me as I celebrate the time I had with Alan. Thank you for that gift. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment