Sunday, June 29, 2014

What is Your Rose?


Come here you beloved, you people whom My Father has blessed. Claim your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of creation. You shall be richly rewarded, for when I was hungry, you fed Me. And when I was thirsty, you gave Me something to drink. I was alone as a stranger, and you welcomed me into your homes and into your lives. I was naked, and you gave Me clothes to wear; I was sick, and you tended to My needs; I was in prison, and you comforted Me. I tell you this; whenever you saw a brother or sister hungry or cold, whatever you did to the least of these so you did to Me. Matthew 25: 35-36, 40 The Voice

A mint passed from my friend, Susie’s hand, to mine. Her son Steve had handed it to her for me. She looked at me and knew why tears dribbled down my cheeks. 

I unwrapped the candy like I had done hundreds of times. Sweetness filled my mouth. Memories filled my mind.

For years, Alan placed hard candy in his pocket before we left for church. At least two  pieces and often more if he knew of visitors sitting with us. At the beginning of the service, he would hand me a piece. I’d give him a smile and my wrapper.

Our little routine continued during his illness and ended with his death. Taking candy for myself wouldn’t have been the same. 

The sweetness in my mouth reminded me of his thoughtfulness and love for me. It brought memories of our worship times together. 

That night Pastor Joel preached about looking for God in the ordinary. He related a story about a lady who received a rose from a stranger just when she needed it. 

After the service, I told Steve how Alan always gave me candy at church. Our ritual was a surprise to him. He told me that he always kept mints in his pocket. With a smile and hug, he said, “That was your rose.”

His simple gesture touched my heart. During my time of grief, I have seen numerable God sightings and received many special roses.

I want to be open to offering roses to others. I also want God to open the eyes of my heart. 

How exciting to think we can all be messengers of God.


Dear Father, thank you for my God sightings. Open my eyes and heart to see and do more. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment