Sunday, June 1, 2014

Thriving Despite Afflictions



Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. Yes, I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. John 15: 4-5 NLT

Bright pink flowers  popped out. One. Two. Then fifteen blooms adorned the green plant. 

After friends brought the plant to Alan and me a couple of years ago, I placed it in a permanent pot. Faithfully, I watered it often. In shock, I watched the leaves fall off. 

The naked sticks puzzled me. I changed its location. Fertilized it. Moved it to a larger pot. With more space, it only leaned over. Nothing helped the plant or my disappointment. 

One day I noticed similar specimens blooming at a nursery. All were in small pots with roots showing at the top. The label said it was a desert rose. 

Determined to revive the pitiful plant, I repotted it into a smaller container. With more sunshine and occasional water, it was on its own. 

Leaves sprouted. Green covered spindly branches. Tiny buds appeared. They burst open with vibrant color. Each day more blooms emerged. It flourished. 

The plant I thought was dead gave me encouragement and beauty. With dry soil, hot sun, and minimum care, it thrived. 

When life is rough, I can survive like my desert rose. Losing Alan, Mother, and Dad in such a short time felt overwhelming. The conditions I faced seem like a desert with no end. But I learned I can grow and flourish too.

If God returns a spindly plant to life, how much more is He going to help me grow. The process won’t be quick or easy. Some days I will have to search to see any glimpse of growth. Other times there will be delightful developments. 

My life is not the same. Patience is my constant ally. Priorities have changed. People are more dear. Stuff is less important. God is closer.

Every time I gaze at my desert rose, I smile with understanding and hope.

Creator, thank you for reviving my plant and me. When I am discouraged, I know you are with me. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment