Monday, October 17, 2016

The Shining Light



 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. (2 Corinthians 4:5-7 KJV)

            Like a beacon, a full moon blazed through the predawn darkness above my neighbor’s house when I opened the door to get my newspaper. I stood alone on the sleepy street joined only by a songbird’s melody. The beauty of the huge, white circle captivated me as it slid downward toward the horizon.

            Minutes later, I watched the sun rise above the trees behind my house. An explosion of pink and blue colored the sky and reflected on the lake.

            Both stunning scenes displayed the awesome faithfulness of God. Each morning the sun rises and the moon continues its path because God placed them perfectly in orbit. As I relished the magnificent sunrise, I had to sing. “Great is thy Faithfulness. Oh, God my Father…” God’s creation revives and inspires me.

            But as gorgeous as the full, harvest moon can be, it is only a dark, rocky satellite with no radiance of its own. The brilliant glow only reflects another source of light.

            Likewise, we are only flawed, broken people with no light of our own. But as Christians, we can reflect the Son’s light to a dark, shattered world.
           

Heavenly Father, thank you for the sun, moon and other heavenly bodies. You so perfectly placed each one just like you placed each of your children. Help us to shine your light into the hurting world. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment