Friday, October 28, 2016

Confidence of a Six Year Old


            During Ashlyn’s softball game, Molly joined me on the bleachers. We talked a moment and then her little legs kicked the air.
            “I want to do karate,” she said.
            I thought back to other statements she made about possible activities. On the day she was to sign up for softball, she changed her mind and tried a season of soccer. She loved playing with one of her best friends, but at the close of the season, she decided gymnastics would be good. She practices her moves around the house and amazes me with her strength.
            After several kicks, she looked at me and said, “I think I could play basketball.”
            “Great grandpa was a basketball coach and played too,” I replied.
            “He played softball until a few months before he died,” Emily added.
            Molly nodded. Her mind shifted again. “I think I could play ice hockey too.”
            I tried not to laugh when she continued. “But I don’t know how to ice skate.”
            As she went down the bleachers, Emily and I laughed.
            Her lack of skills and knowledge didn’t dampen her enthusiasm and willingness to try new things. How many times have I not done something because I was afraid I would look silly or fail? Her confidence inspired me.

            Life is too short to sit on the sidelines, watch, and regret not participating. Molly tickles me but also encourages me to live life fully with confidence.  Alan would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment