Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Blessings During Uncertainty



Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 (Philippians 4: 6-7 NIV)


            Cool water surrounded me. Even during warm up exercises, I huffed and puffed to keep up. Was I out of shape or was there a problem?

            After the water aerobics class the teacher stopped me. “How are you doing?”

            “I had trouble breathing,” I said. We had talked earlier about my continued problems. 

            “You need to call your doctor,” she said. 

            Because of her health issues, I listened to her advice. As soon as I got home, I called the cardiologist’s office to get an earlier appointment with the physician’s assistant. 

            “We don’t have any openings with Amber but Dr. Jamnadas could see you today,” the receptionist said. 

            “That would be wonderful.” I couldn’t believe it. He was the one I wanted to see but it was difficult to get an appointment with the busy doctor. 

            All the way to the office in Orlando, I marveled at the miracle of seeing the doctor that day. 

            In the crowded waiting room, an elderly lady sat near me. Our brief conversation helped me. The day before, my doctor had inserted stents in her leg veins. Her husband also died of a lung disease, and we lived in the same town about an hour away. Both of us were Christians. 

            After telling her about my situation, she turned to me and said, “Dr. Jamnadas will find out what is wrong with you. He’ll take good care of us.” 

            Her encouraging words helped calm me as I dealt with the uncertainty of my situation but knew God was with me. 

            When a young lady took me back for a blood pressure check and ekg, she looked at my name. “Rebecca, that is a good biblical name,” she said with a smile. 

            Another kind Christian gave me comfort. 

            Finally, an entourage entered the examining room with me. Dr. J and three young people. One lady kept her hands busy on a laptop. The other two listened to everything the doctor said. 

            I answered his questions as he studied my chart. “That should have been in her chart,” he said to the young people.

            He continued probing but his next comments startled me. “You have too many risks and are aging too quickly. Uncontrolled blood pressure. Uncontrolled cholesterol. Strokes. TIA’s. Sleep apnea.”

            Was I on my death bed? 

            He began ordering a whole series of tests. I remembered the words of the lady in the waiting room. 

            “Thank you for looking for a reason,” I said. “Other doctors just kept giving me more medicine.”

            He smiled. “I want to see you back in 48 hours.” 

            He left with his protégés. I later learned that one lady was a new PA and the young man had come from Australia to learn from my doctor. 

            For an hour, the appointment assistant made calls and tried to arrange all of my tests before I returned. 

            The local Christian station played quietly as I waited. “I like your music,” I said. It was another Christian connection.

            “Thanks,” 

            “I have to go tell Dr. J that I can’t get all of the tests by Friday.”

            “ I will pray for you,” I said.

            In a few minutes, she returned. “Your prayer didn’t work. He said to make it work by Friday.”

            She had to start over with the appointments to make sure all tests were done in time. More phone calls but she did it. Her sense of humor kept us laughing. It also kept me from worry about the whole process. 

             My friend, Margot, went with me to my Friday appointment to offer support. 

            Dr. J said, “Your heart is fine. But you have renal stenois.”

            In my mind, I thought I had a blockage in my heart. The good news about my heart crushed my concern. However, the kidney problems loomed and surprised me. 

            I tried to listen as the young man explained the blockage in my arteries. Dr. J continued by telling me about the angioplasty and stents. Hormones released by my kidneys raised blood pressure when not enough blood flowed. My blood pressure should go down so that medications wouldn’t be required. 

            Again, I waited while more appointments were made for the pre ops, post ops and two procedures. Everyone in the office worked efficiently and offered kindness. 

            At each point of the journey, God showed up in wonderful ways and continues to do so with numerous prayers and help from family and friends. The whole process revealed how blessed I am. 

            Tomorrow, the first stent will be inserted after the angioplasty. Please pray for the doctor and his staff. Also, pray that the procedure goes well and I continue to have peace about it. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the ways you show up at just the right time. Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment