Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Forced Stillness



“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth.” (Psalm 46: 10 WEB)

            At dawn, heavy clouds ensnared the sun. Rain pelted the lake. In Florida, summer rains normally appeared in the afternoons. 

            Because of the gloom, birds hid. No turkeys, sand hill cranes, or cardinals visited my yard. Silence replaced cheerful bird songs. Even bees refused to flit from flower to flower. Dejected blooms had no visitors. 

            For a couple of hours, the dismal feeling encompassed my sanctuary. It matched my somber mood as I longed to resume my life after enduring a virus, bronchitis, and surgery. 

            But by the end of my devotional time, the weather changed. Clouds slid away to reveal a beautiful, blue sky. A chorus of songs surged into a symphony. A large, black bee and orange butterfly plucked pollen from the blooms. A squirrel scampered within the cypress trees. Lizards scurried up and down the screen. Life had returned and renewed my hope. 

            Even though my debilitating symptoms disappeared, energy remained elusive.  My body quickly rejected most activity. Over and over, friends and family told me to rest and not rush the healing. 

            Reluctantly, I agreed to continue my extended rest. I learned to enjoy reading a variety of books. Old sit coms made me laugh and reminded me of simpler times. Educational shows increased my knowledge on several topics. My forced relaxation helped me appreciate the quiet times. Embrace the solitude. 

            Each day, I read the wall plaque given to me by my son and his family. 

            Be Still and Know that I am God.   Psalm 46: 10
            
            For four weeks, I had to watch church online instead of attending. Last week, Pastor Matt displayed a plaque with the same Scripture. His sermon reminded us to be still even in our trials. Just what I needed to hear. 

            During this time, God has been teaching me to be more patient and trust Him. Hopefully, my time to rest will end soon. Life will resume like it did on my lake.  

Loving Father, thank you for being with me in my trials. Help me to remember the lessons I learned during my time of rest. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment