Sunday, July 8, 2018

Homebound and Alone?



Weeping may remain for a night but rejoicing comes in the morning. (Psalm 30:5 NIV)

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4: 19 NIV)

            Homebound for days. Confined to bed and the couch. Energy waned. When activity slowed, perspectives changed.

            Thoughts of food brought nausea. The endless journey to the kitchen seemed like an impossible dream. 

            Sickness intensified loneliness. No one brought a glass of water. No bread went into the toaster. The kitchen remained untidy. No box of Kleenex by the bed. The light didn’t go off. No hugs or good nights. 

            While I lay in bed, I remembered. Alan took care of me when I was sick and after an operation. Tears came but didn’t linger. 

            After sending a brief message about my recent health issues, I went back to bed. What a surprise to see a full inbox and scores of text messages when I got up. 

            Friends prayed and offered to help. My doorbell rang. Smiling faces greeted a weary one.  Medicine and food appeared just when I needed it. When my appetite returned, more delicious food arrived. 

            Beautiful cards bore heartfelt sentiments and lingered on my counter. Calls came to check on me. 

            In my grief, loneliness, and weakness, God provided. Over and over, people both near and far prayed and took care of my immediate needs. Though at first, I felt alone, I really wasn’t.

            Unless we are vulnerable, we may never experience the fullness and healing of God’s love through other people. 

Loving Father, even in my darkest times, you are with me. I am blessed to be surrounded by countless loving people. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment