Thursday, June 2, 2022

Away from the World


 

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

Psalm 91: 1-2 NIV

 

Dragonfly wings sparkled in the sunlight as they zoomed above the lake and among plants along the shoreline. 

            After freezing winter temperatures, masses of dead foliage marred the beauty of my view. Armed with a rake, trimmers and my two hands, I toiled for hours getting rid of the ugly mess. My cousin, who was visiting from Indiana, cleaned out a section too. 

            Our efforts paid off. Lush plants with white flower spires rose along the shore and help clean the lake. 

            An expanded flower garden enticed butterflies with yellow, pink, purple and orange blooms. The insects fluttered from one bloom to another and landed on milkweed leaves to lay eggs. 

            Three deer ambled from the woods and then disappeared into another forest. 

            When distressing news captures my attention and tries to hold me hostage, my lakeside retreat calms me. 

            Time with God each morning anchors me for the day. At first, I add items to my gratitude journal. The list grows and grows. Then comes notations in my prayer journal with people close to me and also, needs around the world. 

            Praying and reading the Bible brings me back to God’s world. Immersing myself in His awesome creation, reminds me that He is in control and I am not. 

            When I see the way He made flowers, deer, insects, trees … and cares for them, I am in awe. If God can take a dot sized egg and make a magnificent Monarch butterfly, I realize He can do much more than I can even imagine. 

            My weary, burdened mind is changed every day when I take time with Jesus. 

Creator, help us lean on You and not the world. As we appreciate what You have made, bring us closer to You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment