Monday, June 27, 2022

Thankfulness for the Rain


Open your mouths with thanks! Sing praises to the Eternal!
    Strum the harp in unending praise to our God. 

Who blankets the heavens with clouds,
    sends rain to water the thirsty earth,

and pulls up each blade of grass upon the mountainside.

Psalm 147:7-8 (Voice)

Heavy clouds hovered overhead and cast a grayness over the lake. From my patio seat, I noticed a hummingbird return after many days to nearly barren plants. His thin beak dipped into the two remaining blooms. 

            Normal summer showers had bypassed my area for weeks. When raindrops dotted the glassy lake, I stopped reading and cherished the long-awaited shower. I enjoyed the welcome rain which enhanced my devotional time on the patio. Random drops created circles all over the lake. Sheets of rain brought a deluge from the opposite shore to my shoreline. Breezes tossed watery beads onto the screen where they clung tightly and waited for the sparkle of sunshine.  

            Drips hit the gutter like a telegraph message. With eyes closed, I listened to a symphony of water sounds. A crescendo and decrescendo of rain came as though a conductor raised and lowered his baton. Tiny drops added a gentle percussion. 

            During a seasonal rain, I probably would have stayed inside and not noticed the nuances of the storm. Perhaps, I would have complained at a disruption in outside activities. 

            However, the end of the drought brought thankfulness and joy while I watched the refreshment of my yard . It reminded me of God’s provision and faithfulness for us too. He knows and supplies our needs. 

            Our complicated lives bring periods of sadness, uncertainty, and despair. Likewise, we delight in times of joy, peace and hope when we depend on Jesus. 

            Like a child who forgets to say “Thank you”, we often neglect to show gratitude for our blessings. 

King Jesus, thank you for rain and sunshine, along with times of tranquility and trials. Each one teaches and brings us closer to You. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment