Saturday, June 11, 2022

Fly Like a Butterfly


Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Romans 12: 12-13 NIV

Twenty-eight days to make a difference with only fourteen days as an adult. That is the life of a monarch butterfly.

            During their season in my area, each day I look for teeny eggs and tiny caterpillars. Within my three butterfly cages, they have plenty of milkweed and are protected from predators. 

I enjoy watching them develop and finally release them into the world. Their orange and black wings glisten in the sunlight as they fly around the yard. Females land on one milkweed plant after another to lay eggs.  

            They zoom to trees and then land on red and purple flowers in my garden. Their fragile wings allow them to dance with the breezes. I love watching them enjoy their brief lives.  

            Although they have no idea their lives will be short, the lovely creatures make the most of each day. What joy I get in helping them survive and then observe them flying around my yard. 

            Likewise, we have no idea how long our lifespans will be. As my birthdays accumulate, I want to make the most of each day and not lament that I am getting older. I desire to live joyfully like my butterfly friends. 

            At some point, the little creatures will die, but their offspring will continue the cycle as part of God’s creation.

            The same is true for us. Enjoy life while we can. Don’t get bogged down in fears. Have fun and leave a joyful legacy for our family and friends. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for teaching us through your creation. Help us be joyful and make the most of each day.

Amen

       

No comments:

Post a Comment