Friday, October 21, 2022

The Revived Orchid


He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40:29-31(NIV)

Months ago, I moved one of my nearly dead orchids from the plant stand on the patio to the oak tree behind my house. Friends placed their orchids under a tree when they left for the summer. It was worth a try since the lifeless plant looked beyond help anyway. 

            I placed it in an old macrame hanger and tied it to a large limb. The too small hanger made the already dejected looking specimen hang sideways. At least the dead leaves and crooked roots didn’t mar my patio any longer. 

            While working in my yard, I would notice the scraggly mess and think of throwing it away. But it remained. 

            As Hurricane Ian approached, potted plants went into the patio and lined the wall. I felt sorry for the excluded orchid so I attempted to take it down. However, the knot refused to loosen and I didn’t want to stop to get scissors so the hanger and plant remained outside.

            Three weeks after the storm, from the house I noticed yellow leaves on the poor plant. When I went outside to pluck them, the reality astonished me. Instead of three dead leaves, three gorgeous, yellow blooms smiled at me. 

            Not only did the orchid survive the gales and torrents of the hurricane for hours and hours but it flourished. What a beautiful example of God’s love and care. 

            When we face our own storms and feel there is no hope, God doesn’t give up on us. He can take the broken pieces and create something beautiful that we never imagined. 

            As people around Florida struggle to rebuild and repair the physical damage from the hurricane, God is working to repair their lives. To give hope, encouragement and purpose for discouraged souls. 

Abba Father, you are with us even in our distress. You take the effects of our storms and make them into something worthwhile. Thank you for always loving us. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment