Wednesday, November 15, 2023

A Birthday Gift


My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.

Psalm 71:8 (NIV)

As darkness faded away, an explosion of red lit up the sky. Vibrant scarlet painted the background of the forest and even the lake. 

            I hurried outside with my phone to capture the magnificent spectacle. However, the camera couldn’t fully express the breathtaking phenomenon before me. 

            From my patio chair, I stared at the transformation of the sky as it moved like the turning of a dial. Red became bright orange across the lake while the rest of the sky evolved to pink. In a very short time, pale orange replaced brightness and then a huge yellow ball peeked through the trees. The pink faded to reveal blue sky with a border of gray clouds. 

            Within a few minutes, I experienced a kaleidoscope of design and color as God presented me with an extraordinary birthday present. 

            While I marveled at the gift, a curtain of clouds closed to end the production. Although I longed for a longer display, I was thankful for what I received. 

            Memories filled my mind. Over the years, I have experienced happy periods but also seasons of heartache and grief. God has been with me comforting and guiding.  

            In the last several years, each birthday has brought more and more family members and friends departing this earth. 

My time here grows shorter too so I want to make the most of each day. Age makes me look at life a little differently. People are more important than things. Helping others know Jesus is crucial. Take time each day to be with Jesus. Overlook insignificant problems. Lend a hand to those who need encouragement. Comfort those who are grieving. Enjoy the beauty around me. 

My latest birthday gift from God reminded me of His presence, love and compassion. The stupendous sunrise was a tiny glimpse of heaven.

Loving Father, thank you for being with us and giving us special gifts. Help us each day notice Your presence in creation and in those around me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment