Friday, November 3, 2023

Scary Steps


In his heart, a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)

Because of the intense summer heat, I parked far from the store’s entrance in a patch of shade. 

            With a shopping cart of purchases, I left the store and began the long trek to my car. In a flurry of activity, shoppers entered the store and moved about the parking lot to and from their cars. But as I pushed my shopping cart farther and farther toward the back of the gigantic lot, I was alone. 

            Step by step took me away from the bustle of other shoppers. Then I heard footsteps behind me. When I sped up, they did too. As I slowed, they slowed. I was afraid to look behind me and confront the possible attacker.  

            No matter what I did, the feet behind me mirrored my cadence. Finally, I stopped completely. Total silence. Surely, no one would harm a grandmother in broad daylight. 

            No one could hear me or maybe even see what was going on at such a distance.  Were there cameras? 

            Determined to act normally, I opened my trunk and began putting groceries in my car. Still no sound from the potential assaulter. 

            My eyes fell to my shoes. Laughter replaced fear. Only then did I notice the backless, rarely worn sandals. The flopping of the shoes produced puzzling sounds so my mind formed a frightening story which seemed real. Instead of discovering a scary intruder, I found that I had caused my own fears. In my laughter, a lesson was learned.

How many times do we create unnecessary worries and anxiety instead of taking our concerns to Jesus?  

Loving Father, when I am frightened and anxious, help me trust you as you guide my steps.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment