Sunday, January 31, 2010

Acts of Kindness

After going to Alan’s doctor’s appointment, I arrived late at my neighborhood Bible study and did not have time to go home to get my Bible. It was good to be back with friends after being gone because of my surgery. The circle was widened to add another chair, and I sat down between two friends.
The group shared concerns and prayed before starting the actual lesson. The first verses were read as I listened while everyone else followed along in their Bibles. Another lady read the next few verses while I longed to have my Bible too. The friend on my left moved her Bible closer to me so I could join her. She smiled and nodded when I whispered that I did not have time to go back home.
Normally, we go down the row with each person reading. As it got closer to me, I thought I would remind the leader I had no Bible. However, the friend on my right handed me her Bible with a smile just before it was my turn.
In both cases, my friends saw a need and with no fanfare met it. Their small gestures allowed me to fully participate in the study. How kind they were.
I thought of the thousands of opportunities that are presented to me to be of service to others, and sadly, how many I miss. I realized that I need to be more observant and then proceed. Frequently, the actions may seem rather insignificant but to the receiver they may be monumental. It seems that our society has become so busy, distracted, and isolated that we often neglect good manners and small acts of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment