Friday, January 22, 2010

Tragedy and Thankfulness

Clean water flowed into my cup as I prepared my morning tea. While I read my morning devotionals, I snuggled in my comfortable chair. Wrapped around me was a soft, velour blanket. Beyond the window birds darted back and forth across the lake—chirping and singing. The serene picture was comforting.
When I finished and started preparing for breakfast, I thought of the abundant choices I had and also the wonderful meals that friends had provided during my convalescence. In addition to plenty of food, I lived in a sturdy, clean home. Even though I had some issues at the hospital, my overall treatment during surgery was excellent. All of my blessings came to mind as I followed the news about Haiti.
Pictures of destruction, despair, and death flashed across the television and covered the papers. How were they coping? How could the people survive in such deplorable conditions?
How they would treasure a cup of pure water. A warm blanket and a comfortable chair would be a dream. A clean bed in a home with sturdy walls and roof would be a fantasy. A pantry or refrigerator full of food would be unheard of. A closet of clothes would be only a vision. Things that I often take for granted would be cherished.
Since I first heard the news of the earthquake, I have been praying for the victims of the disaster both in Haiti and their loved ones who are far away. It is so reassuring to see people around our country and around the world come together to help in so many ways. If only, instead of arguing and fighting, we would all continue to reach out to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment