Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Don't Call Us

Six year old Ashlyn and I were talking on the phone recently and discussing my recovery from surgery. I told her the doctor thought I was doing well but had to be careful for a while.
"After I opened our large sliding glass door yesterday, I was hurting," I told her.
"Grandma, put a note on the door that says 'Do not open'," she stated.
" That is a good idea," I said. "Also, I can't use the vacuum, and the floors need to be cleaned. Grandpa can't use it either because of his back."
"Put a note on the vacuum too," she giggled. "You should get someone to help you."
"I had thought about that," I answered.
"Just don't call us!" she stated matter-of-factly.
We both started laughing at her statement and continued with our conversation.
Later when I thought of her answer, I laughed at her honesty. As adults we are often quick to give advice, notice faults, and criticize. However, when it comes time to take action, we answer "Don't call us!!" It is much easier to complain than to be part of the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment