Sunday, January 31, 2010

Small Celebrations

When I picked up the phone, I heard a little voice say, "Hi, grandma."
"Hello, Ashlyn," I answered but was surprised that she was calling past her normal bedtime.
"I have some exciting news!" she exclaimed.
"What is it?" I asked.
"I just lost my first tooth!"
I could hear the excitement in her voice and imagined her now partially toothless smile. She continued talking and told me the tooth came out when she wiggled it.
"I am going to put it under my pillow. Daddy woke Emily up to tell her too."
I could hear Emily talking in the background. Then Ashlyn stated, "I have to go to bed now."
"Thanks for calling."
I hung up the phone and thought of the special moment she had shared with me. How momentous it was for her--a passage into a more mature stage of childhood. More teeth will come out but probably not with the fanfare of the first one. The enthusiasm of a child is contagious if we do not snuff it out with our lack of interest or cynicism.
As adults we have been hit with pain and disappointments so we frequently neglect to commemorate or even notice the small milestones and accomplishments that are before us. Life can take away our spontaneity and zeal so that we become sluggish and boring. Ashlyn's special moment reminded me that life is filled with small, but meaningful celebrations. What will I see today? Let me know what you find in your life to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment