Monday, November 11, 2013

My Birthday Blues



Heavy clouds blocked the sun. Gloom surrounded the lake which matched my mood. Not exactly a cheerful way to start my birthday.

Since last year’s birthday, my life has been an endless stream of struggles. In the dreariness, I relived the pain. There would be no personalized computer card from my dad nor a happy phone call. In mother’s weakened state, she wouldn’t even know what day it was. Alan’s worsening condition made me wonder how many birthdays we would celebrate together.

Tears trickled during my pity party.

Then I noticed God’s birthday gifts. Water diamonds adorned the patio screen. An intricate spider web clung tightly to an adolescent oak. Three gray headed turkeys sauntered across my yard. Crickets hummed softly. A gigantic picture of the forest reflected on the tranquil lake.Tinges of orange edged mature cypress leaves.

God invited me to enjoy His presence. Absorb the peace. Remember that He has always been with me during difficult situations and won’t leave.

The water droplets reminded me to look for sparkles each day. Just as the web was fleeting so are relationships. People come and go. The leaves showed that life is full of seasons with endings. 

If the sun had come out, I would have focused on the spectacular sunrise and sparkling lake. Only in the haze did I notice the less obvious but still lovely beauty. Whether I wake to sun or clouds, I will look for each day’s blessings.

When someone is hurting or brokenhearted, the Eternal moves in close and revives him in his pain. Psalm 34:18 (The Voice)

Dear Lord, guide me every day to see the blessings you provide. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment