Thursday, November 17, 2022

An Animal Under My Tree

 An Animal Under My Tree

Rebecca Carpenter

November 17, 2022

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalm 118:24 (NIV)

“Oh, my gosh! Oh, my gosh!” I kept talking out loud to myself as dawn revealed the lake.

            Before dawn, I sat on my patio reading devotional books and my Bible. As the sun rose, a dim lake emerged along with shadowy trees on my shore. 

            My eyes swept the landscape a few times as darkness disappeared. But I kept reading and ignored my surroundings. 

            When I finally looked up, an indistinct shape blotted out plants near the cypress trees. Then a creature turned toward the patio probably because of my light. He stared at me and I stared back. For a few moments, we both stood like statues. I wanted to grab my phone to take a picture but it was inside the house. 

            When the adolescent black bear decided he had enough of gazing at me, he loped off towards my neighbor’s house. I walked outside to see where he went but also kept looking behind me to make sure there was no mama or papa trailing him. Then I decided I really didn’t need to follow him and returned to my patio. 

            All the while, I kept repeating, “Oh, my gosh!”

            At our previous home, we saw bears more frequently. But at this house, I seen a large bear across the lake only once several years ago. Never only a few feet from me. 

            The wonder of God’s creation fills me with awe. From microscopic to mammoth, there are plants and animals of all kinds. 

            If I had not looked up at that moment, I would have missed an opportunity to see a bear. How many times have I not noticed marvelous gifts nearby. 

Many activities are merely distractions that prevent me from experiencing miracles and opportunities around me. When I take time to carefully observe, I have seen glistening spider webs, sparkles on the lake, a cloud filled sky, a Monarch butterfly in my cage, deer across the lake, the dancing of a child… 

Enjoy life and take time to have an “Oh, my gosh!” moment. 

Father, help us take time to notice wonderful moments and opportunities that come into our lives. Don’t let us be distracted by things that don’t matter. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment